Monday, September 20, 2010

Book Review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


 "Could you survive on your own in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't see the morning?
"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 
    "Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before -- and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love." (Cover blurb on book).


I was hesitant to read this book originally -- mostly because someone had full-out convinced me that it was about cannibalism and I wasn't totally sure I wanted to read on that topic. It's not. When I finally purchased The Hunger Games, I was pleasantly surprised to find a blend of adventure (survival of the fittest) and sort-of romance in a dystopian setting.

Katniss is a strong lead, and she's got what it takes to keep this novel alive. She's not the sort of person to let anyone walk all over her, even when the odds are against her, and I enjoyed her spirit. Her knack for survival starting in the first few pages let the reader know that she was by no means to be considered helpless, and she didn't break down just because she was in a bad situation.

Emotional involvement isn't difficult to achieve with me when I'm reading; even a terrible work of fiction can keep me hooked until the end, if only so I can have closure. But it takes a decent plot, connection to the characters, and a pretty good writing style to keep me singing praises after a few days have passed.

By the end of this novel, I was ready to go fight my own battles. And even after several weeks had passed, I was still interested in the characters, so I bought the second book (which I have yet to read). While it probably isn't for the weak of stomach, this series has my praise.

The Hunger Games has captured my attention. I won't bash you over the head with it and tell you to read it or else, but I definitely recommend it to readers looking for a thrill ride.

This book can be found in bookstores and online:

The Hunger Games

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment