Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ink Wednesday


This is not necessarily a fiction writing related link but, as far as I'm concerned, everyone should know about this site. I was a writing tutor for a while during my first two years of college and I have to say, had students made use of this site more often, there would have been fewer MLA/ASA formatting mistakes to explain in detail.

So, since finals are upon (some of) us, have a useful link:

  • Purdue OWL: An online writing laboratory (see: house of useful information) provided by Purdue University. Also known as: A wonderful writing resource for high school/college/university students that can be used as an easy access point for learning academic writing/formatting rules.
(Note: Yes, I have been looking at my MLA manual again recently and, once again, I've been reminded of how irritating the formatting rules are and how much time I could have saved simply by using this website. My apologies for the miniature rant of sorts.)

Hopefully you'll find some use in it.

(Note 2: I'm not actually sure if this site applies to those of you who live in countries other than the United States. I'll probably look into that eventually, but use your judgement for the time being.)


1 comment:

  1. Depending on what all's in it, that punctuation section might come in handy for me... Punctuation around brackets and quotations always gets confusing.

    And I've seen so many people using the apostrophe incorrectly that I'm starting to wonder if I'm the one making the mistakes.

    I'll bookmark this one so I can check next time.:) Thanks again for the useful links.

    ReplyDelete