Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ink Wednesday

 In the spirit of National Novel Writing Month, here are the writing tools I'm using this year!

  • OpenOffice Writer: Writer is the equivalent to Microsoft Word in the OpenOffice suite. I've been using this program since about 2008, when I switched over from Microsoft. And Writer has become the main program I use for writing, so it's definitely in use during NaNo.
  • OpenOffice Calc: Calc is the equivalent to Microsoft Excel in the OpenOffice suite. This is the program I use for most of my outlining while I'm writing. It also helps me keep track of my current word count during NaNoWriMo, since I don't write in the same document the entire time.
  • Scrivener: This year, I've downloaded the Scrivener trial for Windows. I'm still learning how to use it, so it's not my only writing tool. However, thus far, I think it's a pretty cool program and if I win this year, I think I might look into purchasing it as a gift to myself for winning. The NaNoWriMo site has a thread under the 'Special Offers' forum that offers discounts on Scrivener to NaNo participants and winners, so you might want to check that out if you're interested and participating in NaNo.

What programs do you use to get you through NaNoWriMo?

2 comments:

  1. This year I was planning on using Yarny. I still am, for organizational and note-making purposes, but a write-in Day 1 with bad internet connection foiled that.

    Luckily, I had Q10 on my computer already with a purple background just waiting for me to use it, thanks to your advice during Camp, so I wasn't stuck using Word. Now Q10 gets to be the program I use for the actual writing.

    Glad to see you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't checked out Yarny, yet. It sounds kind of fun, though. Well, perhaps it's useful enough just for organizing?

    Q10 has definitely saved me a few times. It's not a perfect program, but I'm glad I found it, either way.

    It's good to be back. :) I missed blogging.

    ReplyDelete